You may have seen Ron Funches on NBC’s Undateable or on Comedy Central’s @midnight, and if you’ve ever seen/heard his stand-up you’d know that he’s a longtime fan of professional wrestling. He even has a great bit about how to handle people who tell him wrestling is fake (because OF COURSE the fans already know it’s scripted and predetermined), and, to be hones, it’s a really good retort for keeping the “Negative Nancys” and those drunk off “haterade” at bay. However, Ron is taking his love for the medium to an whole ‘nutha level by actually taking pro wrestling classes, and he explains on Conan, (in the above video) why he’s doing it. Continue reading “Comedian & Pro Wrestling Fan Ron Funches talks about Enrolling in Pro Wrestling School on CONAN”
Oh dear Lord, we DEFINITELY have to talk about THIS championship! In this pro wrestling-themed episode of PractitioNERD Documented, or “Doc’D”, host Montez McCrary will be discussing the history, hilarity, and…just…plain-awesome-absurdity of the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship title from Dramatic Dream Team, a.k.a. DDT, Wrestling.
1) Dramatic Dream Team Pro-Wrestling [ddtpro.com, youtube.com/ddtofficial]
2) Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship Title History [https://goo.gl/XuBK8s]
3) “Here’s how Two Wrestling Bloggers won an actual Japanese Championship Title” from The PractitioNERD, August, 31,2016 [https://goo.gl/EBkbqE] Continue reading “The DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship – Doc’D #68”
In a move that, like an RKO, absolutely came outta nowhere, WWE sent out a tweet yesterday announcing a new series on the WWE Network, titled Southpaw Regional Wrestling, . So far, it looks to be the Network’s first successful stab at scripted comedy. To be honest, any show with John Cena doing his best Gordon Solie impersonation — as the character and play-by-play announcer “Lance Catamaran” — ought to be good. Continue reading “WWE Network’s “Southpaw Regional Wrestling” is Everything I Didn’t Know I Wanted…”
In this pro wrestling-themed episode of PractitioNERD Documented, or “Doc’D”, host Montez McCrary will be discussing the popular, and often very humorous, independent professional wrestling promotion, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.
1) Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Official Website [http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com]
2) PWG Blu-rays/DVD on Amazon [http://amzn.to/2jW882M] & PWG Merchandise [http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch]
3) r/SquaredCircle’s Guide on How To Watch PWG [https://goo.gl/CzJk08] Continue reading “Pro Wrestling Guerrilla – Doc’D #60”
In this episode of Geek Me Five, host Montez McCrary will be discussing the ongoing Japanese superhero parody webcomic, manga and anime series, One-Punch Man.
1) One-Punch Man Anime [Hulu: https://goo.gl/FjaF7i; Daisuki: https://goo.gl/tufAlD]
2) One-Punch Man Webcomic & Manga [Webcomic: http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com; Manga: http://amzn.to/2jfajlu]
3) One-Punch Man Wikia/Fandom webpage [Wikia/Fandom: https://goo.gl/AZwl4p; Reddit: https://goo.gl/5bHixg; My Anime List: https://goo.gl/nTQq6A] Continue reading “One-Punch Man – Geek Me Five #22”
Aside from the frequent looks into the life of architect Ted Moseby from the TV series “How I Met Your Mother,” the architecture field hasn’t quite been a target for satire in the entertainment space. That brings me to “The Architect“, a new film directed by Jonathan Parker that brings forth the drama and comedy of the profession. The film features a humorous — yet somewhat believable in some cases — satire of architects, with character of the egocentric, self-centered and grandiose architect Miles Moss, portrayed by James Frain, who is working with a couple who wants him to design their dream home. Well golly-gee-whiz; what could POSSIBLY go wrong?!? Continue reading “Watch the Architecture Profession take a Satirical Turn in “The Architect”…”
Longtime friend (and friend of The PractitioNERD), Alex “Kool-Aid” Ansel, is a stand-up comedian based out of Windcrest, Texas. Above is his half-hour comedy set from the Rivercenter Comedy Club in downtown San Antonio, Texas from February 2015. ENJOY THE SHOW!! Continue reading Alex “Kool-Aid” Ansel’s Half-Hour Comedy Set
…and this is how you do it in three simple steps:
1. Wear any type of headgear.
2. Play the song “Harlem Shake” by Baauer.
3. GO BUCK WILD!!
The internet is a valuable resource for infromation, education, and interaction, but sometimes something special comes up online that could seem like some type of joke that evolves to become something SO ELABORATE that it seems as if it’s no longer a gag. Case in point: the video above it the credited as the first example of the “Harlem Shake” video meme. What started as an introduction to a comedy compilation video called “Filthy Compilation #6 — Smell My Fingers” from comedian Filthy Frank has EXPLODED — in this PAST WEEK — into an internet and YouTube phenomenon, seemingly joining the likes of the Macarena, The “Gangnam Style” dance, and –ugh — the “Crank Dat” dance (just…..just….terrible).
After the break, I’ve included some videos from college kids, firefighters, office spaces (like SourceFed, CollegeHumor, Break & IGN) and the Peanuts. As far as memes go, most of the “Harlem Shake” videos are pretty awesome, mainly because they’re close-to-nothing more hilarious that watching people — mostly of the anglo persuasion — dance awfully to hip-hop-infused dub-step music. Continue reading “OMG! “The Harlem Shake” Meme Has Taken OVER!!”